Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Heating Pad Covers

I've seen a lot of how to's on making heating pads but nothing on anything to cover them. I've heard that if they get wet, they're basically ruined because the rice/wheat in them will start to mold. Ewwww! I had an idea a little while ago to make a heating pad for a little boy who has cancer. His actual request was to have drawings of dinosaurs, bugs, and fish. Since I don't draw, I thought I'd make a heating pad in the shape of a dinosaur or a fish. Something cool like that. Well, remember my first post with those sad looking heart heating pads? Well, I was determined to do better. And by better, make it simpler! So instead of trying to cut out dinosaur shapes and fill it with rice, I thought, simple rectangular heating pad covered by fabric that has his "animals" on it. I went over to Joann's and was surprised to find that I could not find any kind of fabric that I was looking for! I went online and found quite a few from Joann's so I bought it. It said it'd take over a week to get here. So today was the day it finally came!! I was so excited I made my heating pad and covers all today. I decided to make 3 covers. That way, if he liked one in particular or if the fleece doesn't work, they can switch it out. I also thought that little kids get things messy! So, if he spills anything on it, they can just throw the cover in the wash and hope it didn't get on the actual heating pad.
I LOVED the fabrics! I went with 2 fleece and 1 flannel. I fell in love with the bugs! I'm not exactly sure why but I wanted to hoard the whole yard to myself!!
Isn't it just darling?
The blue dinosaur was better in person. I loved this one too.
And I think these are just too fun! This is the flannel if you can't already tell!
All together now!
So, since there are NO patterns for covers, I just sorta made it up as I went along. Tell me, do they look like my 4 year old made them? They definitely look homemade but hey, at least I'm trying and that's the goal, right? :) I'm hoping this little boy will love at least 1 of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment